Tuesday, May 21, 2019

5/21 - Pennsylvania Grand Canyon

Today I continued west on US 6.

  • Got breakfast at Bishop's Family Restaurant outside of Towanda
  • Sheetz Stop Number 4: Picked up lunch at Sheetz in Mansfield to eat while I was hiking
  • Went to the eastern rim of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. Knew that I had to temper my expectations for it and rightful so. The views were ok, but seemed like it was just a valley between two mountain ridges.
  • Hiked to the bottom of the "canyon." Saw some pretty cool waterfalls and ate lunch
  • Walked through Wellsboro and had ice cream
  • Drove to the western rim of the canyon, which had much better views which displayed the geometry of the canyon well.
  • Had NY Strip Steak (my favorite cut) at the Hotel Crittenden Restaurant.
  • Explored the ruins of the Austin Dam, which failed in 1911.
  • Staying at the Westgate Inn in Coudersport.
Today's Route

Tomorrow I'm going to continue exploring the region known as the Pennsylvania Wilds. I'll probably be staying at a cabin in the Allegheny National Forest, so probably no blog post tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment