Friday, May 17, 2019

Pennsylvania: The Keystone State

So as I mentioned in my previous post at the end of last year, I was planning on taking trips to two different states this year. I wound up selecting the two from the randomly select list of of five  I figured I would: Pennsylvania and Oregon. The first of these trips starts this weekend. For the next two weeks, I'll be traveling across the Keystone State, focusing on areas of the state I haven't been.


Everybody has a map of Pennsylvania on their left hand
My plan is to first head up Scranton and explore the northeast portion of the state for a few days. I'll then make my was west towards Erie over the course of a few days via the northern route of US 6. There is surprisingly a lot to do in PA Wilds, so I think US 6 is going to wind up being the highlight of the trip. After a day or two in Erie, I'll make my way south to Pittsburgh for Memorial Day weekend. This looks to be another highlight of the trip, probably spending four or five days in that vicinity visiting various museums and historical sites before making my way back east. I finish up the trip with the NASCAR race in Pocono on June 2 before coming home.

Because much of the state is so close to home, my plan is to not visit anything south of the Turnpike and east of Breezewood, as those areas are close enough that I could do a day trip to them. This means no Lancaster or Philly. I might visit them later in the summer or fall for some tasty cheesesteaks. While I already have a good idea of what I'll be doing on the trip, I am open to any suggestions.

Sorry Philly Phanatic, not visiting you this time

No comments:

Post a Comment