Friday, October 12, 2018

I think I'm just going to blame the Hokies for everything. Also SHEETZ!

Not going to be a long post, since today has pretty much been all driving since I got on the road at 1 this afternoon.

I am current in Wytheville, Virginia, which is pronounced Wiffle, according to my manager who is from Virginia. Wytheville is home to one of the few wrong-way concurrencies on an interstate highway. That means that I-81 South is on the same stretch of road, and in the same direction as I-77 North. Cool piece of trivia. My plan was to stay here, but not get here as late as I did. 

-----------------------
I got home at noon, which was the a little earlier than I planned. However, there were 5 cop cars at the end of my street and a helicopter over head when I got home. Still haven't figured out what was going on. Finished packing, said goodbye to the cat and made my way out around 1. I got out on the

I don't think Oregon and northern California like being sat on.
Also, this is why I don't work from home.

road and nothing but traffic. Traffic on the beltway, in Frederick, south of Hagerstown on I-81. I wound up stopping at a Sheetz in Martinsburg, which is required for any trip through the

The most magical place in the world

Appalachians. Get back on I-81, I hit more traffic south of Winchester, and then come to a complete stand still for almost 30 minutes south of Harrisonburg. At this point, I was going to hit Wytheville well after sunset, which turned out to be ok, as I got to see a gorgeous sunset around the hills southwest of Roanoke (sorry, no picture as I was driving). I decided that with the sun down, and still about an hour to Wytheville, I'd stop for the night in Radford, which is the first town past the turnoff for Virginia Tech. Turns out that wasn't meant to be, as hotel right off the road was charging $220 a night (they are normally $80) because Virginia Tech is having Parents Weekend. That explains all the traffic on I-81. I decide to then stick to my original plan and just go down to Wytheville.

-----------------------
So now I'm at a Red-Roof Inn in Wytheville. I'm probably going to cross Red Roof off of my places to stay. Don't have any issues with the room I got, but their big claim to fame is that they are very pet-friendly, so I could possible get a room that Fido didn't treat so well. All the other people checking in at the lobby had pets with them.

Tomorrow, I think I will continue down I-81 into Tennessee and then get off the interstate and drive through the North Carolina mountains. If there is anything I should do in that direction, let me know.

Also, I realized that I'm going to be in the car for awhile, and will go through a lot of music and don't want to resort to playing only Sonic OSTs (of which I have at least 90 hours of). If there is anything I should listen to, let me know. I tend to like stuff that as a little bit of energy.

1 comment:

  1. ...and so the journey begins.

    For energy filled music, try my workout playlist this is mix of Thousand Foot Crutch, Skillet and Red. I can post the entire play list if you want.

    ReplyDelete