Saturday, October 27, 2018

Welcome to Weber City - Yes, It Is A Real Place

Today I started off from London, Kentucky and made my way east towards southern Virginia.

  • A few miles south of London was Corbin, Kentucky, where Colonel Sanders ran first started selling his fried chicken at Sanders Cafe and Court, which pre-dated KFC. (The museum was free, but of course had a KFC attached to it.)
 Not so subtle hint to buy more KFC
  • Drove through Cumberland Gap in Virginia (They are not quite at fall peak yet)
  • Arrived about 40 miles west of Bristol, in Weber City, Virginia (Yes, the name is the only reason I went there, but wound up spending more time there than I thought. Its a fully functioning small town with stuff like a police and fire station, two grocery stores, gas stations, Wendy's AND Burger King, Dollar General, a NAPA store, etc.)
This is an actual place you can visit

I even have a fire department
  • Had lunch at the Weber City Burger King (Complete with still functioning CRT TV in the dining area)
They were showing live soccer on this ancient thing. Is that even possible?
  • Drove to Natural Tunnel State Park (I happened to take the trail down to the tunnel observation area at just right time, because a time went through the tunnel just a few minutes after I arrived)
The opening is humongous 
  • Drove back to Weber City, stopping at R&D Games, one of the best retro video game shops I've ever seen (wish I had taken pictures). If you are ever in the Bristol, Kingsport, or Knoxville areas, I highly recommend taking the drive to Weber City to check them out. Their prices are reasonable and they have everything you could think of. (I bought a Nintendo 64 and three game for $70. At the shops in the Baltimore area it would probably be well over $100).
  • Drove to Roanoke to find a hotel for the night and found that the hotel prices jump up a lot since I was looking last night, probably because people are coming into town for the race. Wound up at a Quality Inn 5 miles northeast of Roanoke (Still paid more than I wanted to, but it was better than the stuff in town)
  • Ate at Angelle's Diner, where I had a Muffuletta (Italian deli meats on a ciabatta roll with an olive spread)
Yum
Tomorrow is the NASCAR race in Martinsville. Likely going to eat a few famous Martinsville hot dogs. No post tomorrow, as I'll be driving home, likely getting back around midnight, or I'll get a hotel along the way (maybe Hagerstown or Winchester) if it gets too late because of traffic around the track. I'll probably have a wrap-up sometime this week, and then let the blog go silent again for another six years. Now excuse me while I look up real estate prices in Weber City, I have a new life goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment