Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Saw Both Mt Rushmore And Crazy Horse, But The Highlight Of The Day Was A Burger

Greetings from Chadron, Nebraska. Not sure what its like here, it was dark out when I got into Nebraska. Probably a bunch of cornfields.

------------

  • Spent the morning driving north through Wyoming (My impression of Wyoming is that it is a giant Scottish golf course that hasn't mowed in a few years. Lots of tall grass, rocky outcroppings, and some sandy pits)
  • Cut east into South Dakota, driving through the Black Hills Forest area (Seems they had a forest fire here in the past few years, as a lot of the trees were burnt.)
  • Ate lunch in Custer at the Black Hills Burger and Bun Co. Got the Greek Goddess Buffalo Burger, which had feta, spinach, roaster red pepper, and a tasty aioli sauce. It was literally the BEST burger I've ever had. The meat was flavored perfectly and juicy, and while the burger had a lot of ingredients on it, it wasn't messy.
The BEST burger, EVER
  • Took the long way to Mt Rushmore, on US 16A, which is a very winding road with a number of small tunnels (Well worth it as I got a great angle of Mt Rushmore coming out of one the tunnels)
What's on the other side of this tunnel?
A bunch of US Presidents!
  • Said hi to George, Tom, Teddy, and Abe at Mt Rushmore (If I was planning on staying closer to the park, I would have stuck around for the light show after sunset)
You know, regardless of what angle you look at Mt Rushmore,
it seems that George is always staring directly at you
  • Went over to the Crazy Horse Memorial (Still under construction, slowly progressing since it was started in the 1940s)
This monument will be done, at some point
  • Realizing that 1700 miles separate me from being able to enjoy on a regular basis the best burger ever, I break one of my unwritten rules of not eating at the same place twice on this trip and return to the Black Hills Burger and Bun Co. for another Greek Goddess burger, this time with a strawberry milkshake too (I later found out the TripAdvisor named it the best burger joint in the country a few years ago, so I'm not exaggerating when I say that its that good.)
The BEST burger, EVER, take two
  • Drove down into Nebraska and arrived in Chadron, which I literally know nothing about. (Except that the Best Western that I'm at has nice large rooms, but lousy internet connection. Also its very windy)
Very spacious room, too bad that its seems that the
wireless router is too far away for good connection
------------
Tomorrow, I'm going to see some roadside attractions throughout Nebraska and Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment