Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Nebraska and Kansas: The Land of Mildly Interesting Side Attractions, and Not Much Else (Other Than Corn and Wheat)

Today, I am writing from Salina, Kansas, another town I know next to nothing about Since I again got here after dark, I have no idea what it looks like. My prediction is again going that its going to be surrounded by cornfields. I think I'll actually be right this time.

----------------

  • Left Chadron, Nebraska and realized it wasn't surrounded by cornfields, but looked a lot like what I drove through the day before in Wyoming (i.e. Scottish golf course)
  • Arrived at Carhenge in Alliance, Nebraska. Built in 1987 in under a week, it is a replica of Stonehenge, made out of old cars. (While still cool, this unfortunately, was the most exciting thing I saw today.)
Those are cars, not rocks
  • Drove about a hour south to Chimney Rock, a location along the Oregon Trail, that is featured heavily in the game (Sadly, the closest you can get to it is a museum about a mile away. Apparently, they have issues with rattlesnakes near the rock formation. The museum itself was small, and geared slightly to a younger audience.)
I would have loved to get closer to this
  • Ate lunch at a KFC in North Platte. Had Georgia Gold Honey Mustard Chicken, which tastes a lot like the Snyder's Honey Mustard and Onion Pretzel Pieces. (Also, North Platte, for such a small town, might have every fast food restaurant in existence.)
  • Drove south and east into Kansas, stopping at the geographical center of the continental United States. (Or at least a small monument a half mile from it, since the landowners of the actual center didn't want the monument on their land)
The math behind the determination of the geographical center is actually disputed
  • Drove another 30 minutes south to the world's largest ball of twine. (It had a pumpkin face on it for Halloween)
Happy Halloween!
  • With it near sunset, I then drove 90 minutes to Salina for the night. Got a club sandwich at the hotel restaurant. Staying at a Quality Inn, which has a room that is similar to last nights room, but has much better internet.
----------------
Tomorrow, I'm going to continue making my way east, picking up US 50 and driving past Kansas City and St. Louis, seeing what along the way in between. I also need to figure out if I'm going to go to the NASCAR race in Martinsville, Virginia on Sunday, as that will impact the route I take on Friday and Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment